Mandatory OSHA 30 & Continuing Education - (3/29/2012)
March 27, 2012
MANDATORY OSHA 30 REQUIREMENTS
Brother and Sisters:
At the April 7, 2009, general membership meeting, a motion was made from the floor, and unanimously passed, requiring all construction members of Local 102 to be trained in OSHA 30. Currently, a large portion of our membership has not received this important safety training. The well being of our membership is very important to all of us; therefore, we are taking steps to ensure our entire membership is educated in OSHA 30. To further solidify our goal of a 100% OSHA trained membership, Business Manager Delle Cava will be implementing the OSHA 30 requirement as part of our referral policy effective January 1, 2013.
Section 18.01 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement requires all Journeymen to obtain 34 hours of additional training every 36 calendar months. It is our hope that this would include a code update course; however, any training related to the electrical industry will be accepted. Completion of the required 34 hours of CEU’s for NJ State Electrical License holders will fulfill this requirement. Having just received approval from the International and legal counsel we will extend the 36 month requirement to May 31, 2015; this date coincides with the expiration of our current agreement.
Please see the important notes and OSHA schedule enclosed.
President Local 102 IBEW
- ALL “A” MEMBERS MUST RECEIVE THEIR OSHA 30 TRAINING, FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF JOB OPPURTUNITIES.
- EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2013, YOU WILL RECEIVE A REFUSAL FOR A JOB OFFER REQUIRING OSHA 30 EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TRAINING AND ARE NOT ABLE TO BE REFERRED TO THAT JOB.
- ALL JOBS REQUIRING OSHA THAT ARE POSTED UNTIL THE CLOSE OF THE YEAR (DECEMBER 31, 2012), WILL NOT CARRY A REFUSAL.
- DAY, EVENING, AND WEEKEND CLASSES HAVE BEEN SCHEDULED IN ORDER TO PROVIDE EVERYONE AMPLE OPPURTUNITY TO RECEIVE THEIR OSHA 30 TRAINING. SEE ATTACHED SCHEDULE.
- PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR OSHA TRAINING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. WE CAN NOT GUARANTEE CLASSES AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE END OF THE YEAR.
- OSHA 30 MAY BE USED TOWARD YOUR 34 HOUR CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENT.
- MEMBERS WITH A NJ STATE ELECTRICAL LICENSE MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF CEU’s IN ORDER TO FULFILL THE ADDITIONAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT.
- IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED OSHA 30 TRAINING FROM AN OUTSIDE SOURCE PLEASE PROVIDE THE HALL WITH A PROOF OF YOUR TRAINING ALONG WITH THE DATE THAT YOU COMPLETED THE OSHA 30 COURSE.
· TO AVOID CONFUSION AND OVERCROWDED CLASSES YOU MUST CALL THE UNION HALL TO REGISTER FOR THE CLASSES LISTED, PLEASE ASK FOR CARRIE.
The JATC is working on providing multiple venues, such as online training, in order to provide the membership different pathways toward their continuing education requirement. Our goal is a safe and educated workforce.
Show All News Headlines